Matushree Virbaima Mahila Arts college, kalawad road, Rajkot is run by Shree Jalaram Uchcha Kelavani Mandal which is a highly respected trust with a social vision and commitment to provide higher education for the empowerment of women in Saurashtra region. The college was established in June 1963. The foundation stone was laid by Pujya Shri Ranchhoddasjibapu. The college began with Arts stream offering Sanskrit, English, Gujarati, Indian Culture and Psychology for under graduate major program. Hindi is offered as subsidiary subject. It then expanded to add subjects of science and Home Science, Computer Science, Commerce and Management. The science and home science wings later on constituted a separate full fledged institution located on the same campus. The self financing wing of the Arts college started in 1998. It offers market friendly courses catering to the present day global needs. The Self Finance college offers programs like D.C.S., B.C.A., B.Com., B.B.A. and P.G.D.C.A. The college has an impressive record of achievements in NCC, NSS and sports. The College inculcates various co and extra curricular activities in its academic calendar for the all round development of students. The students have won position at national level in cultural and sports activities. With pride for its past the college promises a bright future. The college runs a centre for SCOPE and also offers certificate courses in communicative English. It has a well organized language laboratory. It is planning to add certificate course in music, translation studies and tourism.
Matushri Virbaima Mahila Arts College, is a grand-in-aid college permanently affiliated to Saurashtra University, Rajkot. It follows the norms and guidelines of the university and the state government for admissions, conduct of courses, fee structure and examinations. It is included in the list of colleges maintained by the UGC under sections 2(f) and 12 B of its Act of 1956. It follows Choice Based Credit System for the under graduate program as per the guidelines provided by the Saurashtra University.
Empowerment and uplifment of Women through Education in Arts, Commerce, Management and IT
- To impart Quality Higher Education to Women.
- To inculcate strong moral values in our students.
- To develop qualities of independent intellectuals in the students.
- To make our students aware of career opportunities, offer job oriented courses and make them self-sufficient.
- To infuse a sense of responsibility and spirit of nationalism in our students.
- To develop communication skills and prepare them to face challenges of life.
- To develop in them managerial skills and entrepreneurship.
- To enable our students to become globally complete in the field of information technology.
- To make explicit the relevance of humanities and imbibe Indian Culture.
- To work towards women empowerment and to spread awareness about problems and challenges of women in society and their constitutional rights and remedies